Braces have come a long way from being a purely functional dental necessity; They are now a stylish accessory that allows patients to incorporate their personalities into their treatment by adding a pop of colour to their modern metal smile. In the UK, the trend of choosing brace colours has gained immense popularity among both teenagers and adults alike. Here’s why.
Embracing the Colourful Journey
The days of plain metal train tracks braces are a thing of the past. Thanks to advancements in orthodontic technology, individuals can now choose from a wide spectrum of colours to adorn their fixed braces. This trend has transformed orthodontics from being something to hide to a fashion statement to flaunt. Whether you want to match your braces with your favourite outfit or simply want to express your creativity, there’s a colour for everyone.
The Colour Palette
- Radiant red: Red braces exude confidence and charisma. They make a bold statement that’s hard to miss. Whether you opt for a classic red or a deeper burgundy shade, red braces are sure to grab attention.
- Pretty in pink: Pink braces have soared in popularity throughout 2023 (thanks to the launch of the new Barbie film starring Margot Robbie). From soft pinks to vibrant fuchsias, both child and adult brace wearers are incorporating a pink twist to their orthodontic braces.
- Brilliant blue: Blue is a versatile colour that can range from calming to striking. It’s a favourite choice for those who want a brace colour that complements various outfits.
- Gorgeous green: Green braces radiate positivity and a zest for life. With shades ranging from minty freshness to rich emerald, green braces can symbolise growth and vitality.
- Sunny yellow: Yellow braces bring a burst of sunshine to your smile – perfect for those who want to spread positivity wherever they go, eh?
- Outgoing orange: Orange braces are for the adventurous souls who aren’t afraid to stand out. Whether you choose a tangerine hue or a deeper burnt orange, these braces exude energy and enthusiasm.
- Playful purple: Purple braces are a favourite among individuals with a creative streak. From lavender to royal purple, this colour adds a touch of elegance and mystery to your smile.
- Neutral neutrals: For those who prefer a more understated look (and many patients do – particularly adults seeking a subtle orthodontic treatment option), neutral tooth-coloured options are available.
Choosing Your Braces Colours
Selecting the right brace colour is a fun and personal process. Many orthodontic practices provide colour wheels helping to give patients a sneak peek into how different colours might look on their teeth. If you’re struggling to decide which colour is right for you, consider the following:
- Personality: Choose colours that reflect your personality and style. Whether you’re outgoing, creative or sophisticated, there’s a colour that resonates with you.
- Outfit co-ordination: If you have a favourite colour or a go-to outfit, consider choosing a brace colour that complement them. Matching your braces with your clothing can create a cohesive and stylish look.
- Seasonal trends: Embrace seasonal trends by choosing colours that are popular during specific times of the year. For example, pastels for spring, vibrant hues for summer and deep tones for autumn can add an on-trend touch to your smile.
- Contrast or blend: Decide whether you want your braces to stand out as a statement accessory with pink, orange, blue or purple perhaps, or blend in with your teeth for a more subtle appearance (tooth-coloured brackets and wires are available).
Caring for Coloured Braces
Maintaining the vibrancy of your metal brace colours requires proper care and hygiene. Here are a few tips to keep your braces looking colourful and bright throughout your orthodontic treatment journey to straighter teeth:
- Oral hygiene: Brush and floss after every meal to prevent food particles from staining your braces. Good oral hygiene also helps maintain the health of your teeth and gums. A healthy mouth is a happy mouth!
- Avoid staining foods: Certain foods and drinks, such as curry, berries and coffee, can stain your braces. We recommend limiting your consumption of these items or rinse your mouth after consuming them. This will help keep the colour of your brace looking sharp – whichever colour you choose!
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water not only benefits your overall health, but also helps prevent staining on your braces.
- Regular check-ups: Attend your scheduled orthodontic appointments for adjustments and cleaning (typically every six weeks). Your orthodontist will replace any coloured bands if they become faded or discoloured, ensuring your brace remains bright and bold.
- Mirror, mirror on the wall: Before and after meals, use a mirror to check for any food particles that may have got stuck in your braces. You’ll want to remove these for comfort and hygiene.
Breaking Stereotypes with Braces
The trend of choosing brace colours is about more than just aesthetics. It’s a way to break stereotypes and embrace individuality. No longer are train tracks braces something to hide or be embarrassed about. Instead, they are an opportunity to celebrate diversity, creativity and self-expression.
The brace colours trend has transformed orthodontic treatment into an exciting and colourful journey. Whether you’re a teenager looking to add flair to your new smile or an adult embracing your own unique style, the variety of colours available allows you to make a statement with your bespoke orthodontic brace system. Go ahead and embrace the vibrant trend of braces colours. Your smile deserves to shine in every hue of the rainbow, wouldn’t you agree?
Book a consultation with Orthodontics For You today to get your journey to straight teeth started. Our consultation appointments are free of charge and there is no obligation to proceed with orthodontic treatment if you later decide it’s not for you.