It’s no secret that Invisalign clear aligners and ceramic braces have both become increasingly popular amongst adult patients seeking a perfectly straight smile. But you might be surprised to learn how traditional metal braces continue to stand the test of time. Beyond their primary function of straightening teeth, metal braces possess a unique and timeless appeal that goes beyond current teeth-straightening trends.
Evolution of Metal Braces
Metal braces have come a long way since their inception in the early 19th century. Traditionally known as ‘’train track braces’’, the earliest versions were chunky, invasive, uncomfortable, and often caused more pain than relief. However, thanks to advancements in orthodontics materials and technology, metal braces have undergone a remarkable transformation in recent years. As a result, today’s modern metal braces are sleek and smaller than ever before. With strong adhesives for an effective journey to a new straight smile, they’re also far more comfortable for brace wearers.
While the welcomed change of a more discreet appearance and additional comfort is noteworthy, it’s also worth highlighting that there has not been a significant change to the fundamental structure of metal braces. It remains a system of brackets, wires and bands working together to gradually move teeth into their desired positions.
The brackets, traditionally made of stainless steel, are affixed to the front surface of the teeth. Once the brackets are in place, a very small archwire is then threaded through each of the brackets. The brackets and wires work together to exert a gentle and gradual pressure, guiding the teeth to the correct alignment. Some patients, but not all, will need rubber bands adding to the make-up of their modern metal brace. These rubber bands, also known as elastics, are used with braces to apply additional pressure to specific areas of the mouth. They are often used to correct a misaligned jaw, but they can also be used for other applications, too.
This tried-and-tested method has stood the test of time and remains a popular and reliable orthodontic option amongst both teens and adult patients dreaming of a perfectly straight smile.
Benefits of Traditional Metal Braces
Here at Orthodontics For You, our modern take on traditional metal braces continue to prove a popular choice for our patients. It’s not surprising when you consider their many benefits:
- Affordability: One of the standout advantages of traditional braces is their affordability. In comparison to alternative orthodontic treatments, such as Invisalign or ceramic braces, metal braces are more budget-friendly. This accessibility makes them attractive for patients seeking effective orthodontic solutions without breaking the bank.
- Durability: Stainless steel, the primary material used in metal braces, is renowned for its durability. Metal braces can withstand the rigours of daily wear and tear. It’s this durability that ensures the braces remain effective throughout the treatment duration, minimising the risk of damage to your brace.
- Versatility: Traditional metal braces can address a wide range of orthodontic issues from mild to severe misalignments. They are particularly effective in cases where extensive tooth movement/re-alignment is required. At Orthodontics For You, we understand how each patient’s smile is as individual as they are. So, when you become an Orthodontics For You patient, you can be sure your unique journey will be carefully planned with a modern metal brace to your specific needs.
- Efficacy: We’re passionate about straightening teeth, correcting misalignment in the jaw whilst ensuring teeth remain strong and healthy. We understand that our patients don’t particularly want a brace, but they do want straight teeth. Traditional metal braces have a proven track record of success in achieving a perfectly straight smile.
- Customisation: While the basic design of metal braces has remained consistent over the years, patients now have the option to add a touch of personalisation with colour to make the process of their dental treatment a little more exciting. Patients can choose from a wide spectrum of colours to adorn their rubber bands, brackets and wires. This trend has transformed orthodontics from being something to hide to a fashion statement to flaunt!
The Timeless Appeal
As technology advances, it’s important to understand how the classic charm of traditional metal braces has stood as a reliable and iconic symbol of orthodontic transformation for generations.
In a world where innovation often takes centre stage, beyond their functional aspects, affordability, durability and timeless appeal, metal braces are continuously chosen as a preferred choice for straightening teeth and improving the appearance of smiles.
As you now know, metal braces are a traditional, durable, and affordable way to achieve the smile you have always wanted. With Orthodontics For You, you can start your teeth-straightening journey with metal braces today – just click here to book your FREE consultation. A consultation appointment is the first step to straightening your smile. It’s at this point that we have an opportunity to assess your teeth and current misalignment, before advising how metal braces could straighten your teeth and improve your smile.
If it is the cost of treatment that concerns you, you’ll be pleased to know private patients of Orthodontics For You can finance their smile with our monthly direct debit payment options. Your dedicated patient co-ordinator will talk you through your specific needs and related costs after your initial consultation.
If you’re considering straightening your smile with metal braces at Orthodontics For You, get in touch today. Our team is ready and waiting to deliver the smile we know you deserve with a treatment plan tailored to you.